I was confused and alarmed this weekend when I was walking through my neighbourhood to hear crunching of leaves at my feet. How was this happening? I was just settling into summer weather and sleeping in front of my fan. This season always seems to take the longest to arrive and the quickest to leave. I'm hoping for a beautiful September to ease back into scarves and boots, but in the mean time I'm going to hit summer hard this week - I need material for my back to school report on "how did you spend your summer?" Check out what's on my to-do list:
- The Vancouver Mural Festival happened on August 20th and over 35 pieces of street art have been added to the city! It's a wonderful addition to so many different communities and buildings; I'm so lucky that so many are in my 'hood' of Mount Pleasant. If you reside in Vancouver, what a perfect way to spend an afternoon by grabbing a coffee, taking a stroll and checking out the new and old murals the city has to offer (see the map of all the murals here). I personally really enjoyed the one pictured below, the giraffe clearly stole the show - and apparently I'm as tall as a dumpster.
- Eating in season! Everyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I appreciate a big salad, I'm basically Elaine from Seinfeld, I just want all the things in one big bowl - is that too much to ask?
THIS is why when summer rolls around I know that my usual salad staples are going to be completely dressed up with the fruits of the season! I love experimenting with new recipes (thanks, Pinterest), and can usually not go wrong with a leafy base plus a fruit, nut and type of cheese. This watermelon salad was the perfect combination of sweet and salty. Lastly, presentation is everything for convincing the skeptics that salads are anything but boring - so make it pretty and it'll be irresistible. Exhibit A and B below:
- VAG (aka the Vancouver Art Gallery) is in the heart of downtown Vancouver, and I'm embarrassed to admit it took me far too long into my Vancouver life to visit this gallery. It's weird because whenever I visit a new place or city, museums and art galleries are always on the top of my list; I guess I just took for granted the VAG would always be there. Anyways! I went to a FUSE event this year and it was fantastic (go see Smashup before September 5th!) I loved the lay out and the architecture: it felt like there were hidden rooms and then all of sudden you're on a roof top and a dance party is going on. The Picasso exhibit currently on right now is on my to-do list for this week, followed by a beverage on their adorable patio.
- Another Vancouver summer highlight is Playland at the PNE, home to the famous wooden roller coaster and deep fried ... everything? Mars bars I've heard are a particular highlight. I think it's high time I saw what this event is all about - I will report back!
- Lastly I will be soaking up all the patio weather I can and trading in my usual vodka soda for a Paloma - I was even inspired to pop the Patron at home and make my own version.
I hope my to-do list has motivated you to give summer loving one more kick at the can and enjoy whatever your city has to offer! I know my to-do list will keep me busy, if anything it will be a distraction to the fact that I have no Drake in my life to buy me a billboard and express his years of love to me on national TV... ah well, can't win 'em all.