Everyone has a favourite season to dress for: whether you love being cozy in scarves and boots during fall and winter or in maxi dresses and flip flops in summer, we all have our fashion niche. However, it's always good to change up the wardrobe staples with each season. I love to "shop" in my closet and find new ways to wear old pieces or simply remember clothes I forgot about months ago - they're like new again! Summer unfortunately has been hit or miss in Vancouver, which is very disappointing after a really hot spring but, c'est la vie! Weather is for elevator small talk (or dates).
Seasonal trends are not for everyone nor do you have to go completely outside of your style to keep up with what the kids are doing. Stick to what you're comfortable in (to an extent) but don't be afraid to go bold with a fashion trend, who knew the 90's would come back with the grunge look and chokers?? I like to think of these pieces as an extension of your wardrobe: a statement look or piece that may only be around for the season. Sometimes these "trendy" pieces come with a hefty price tag and you need to evaluate if it's really worth it. I think we can ask all the people that bought the cherry printed Louis Vuitton luggage if they still feel like that was a sound judgement call or if they should have stuck to the classic. So my advice is spend the money on the pieces that will be able to wear into different seasons (think a great ankle boot with a summer dress and also jeans in the fall, love these ones!) and be more practical with the on trend purchases!
My summer style picks that will be on repeat this year...
- Stan Smiths: I usually go for the white Chucks in the summer but I decided to splurge on my first pair of Adidas Stan Smiths and I LOVE them! These are so comfortable and the ultimate classic all white shoe. A versatile piece that goes with everything from dresses to jeans to a cigarette dress pant. I will admit I was inspired by Victoria Beckham on this look... I think her husband has some deal with Adidas too...
- The Bucket Bag: I love clutches but summers are best suited for hands to be free so cross body bags are the way to go (plus, they're perfect for bike rides and wine tours!) I found my bucket bag in the Nordstrom sales bin - a new brand for me but really happy with it! I love the tassle details. This is another one I like and this one. The slip on mules were only $5 at Old Navy and ripped jeans will never be a trend, but always a true love in my books.
- The Choker: I was too young to adopt this trend in the 90's but I always appreciated Cher and Dionne's choker style in Clueless. You're seeing these more and more this year and I must say - I kind of like them! I went thrifty on mine and picked this one up for $15 - we'll see if this trend extends past the summer before I spend my dollars on this look!
- The Strappy Sandal: Summer time means trading in the pumps and boots to show off a fresh pedicure. I love this sandal because you can wear it with everything; I love to wear them with jeans to dress up a casual look too. One day I'll splurge on a Stuart Weitzman pair but these Steve Maddens are a great price point and you can wear them all night because of the 3" heel. I want them in every colour.
- The Fanny Pack: I originally bought this for my day-of duties at weddings: I hate carrying around a purse when I'm 'working' but always needs to be carrying supplies (tide to go, sewing kit, flask, cell phone etc). But I'm realizing that fanny packs are so handy! Let's not go so far as my dad's neon/velcro version circa 1991, but Hershel has designed a really cute one - they actually call them 'hip packs'. It's my wedding accessory of the summer.
- Off the Shoulder EVERYTHING: I'm seeing this trend everywhere, the shoulder is the hottest body part this summer! From flowy tops, cute dresses and fitted crop tops. I feel like it's a flattering cut for most figures and you don't feel overexposed. I will say that sometimes it's annoying to keep adjusting some styles but I saw this amazing youtube trick! My story telling usually entails lots of arms gestures so this youtube trick really saved me! This blue dress was another Old Navy steal for $15!
So that's LC's summer round up! Whatever trend you're wearing make sure you feel great and you will look great! I'll leave you with a photo from the Deighton Cup this weekend. It was so much fun! Everyone got really into their outfits and these two ladies even made their fascinators! Very impressive.
Hope you had a great weekend!!